A clickable link to my online shop~ enjoy :)

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Suspended, everything happens for a reason :)

Alright, so I am a HUGE fan of Etsy and the community there. The people are nothing short of amazing, and never hesitate to help one another out. One of my favorite groups of people are my promoting buddies on a Promoting Forum.

I've been struggling with a question for a while : Should I promote the fact that I'm only 16?!

So, I decided to ask the Etsy Community, with a thread of my own. The reaction: everything I hoped it would be. In about 40 minutes, I got 40 responses to this question. And, let me tell you, there was a WHOLE lot of information I gained from it.

Basically: DON'T promote it on Etsy, but DO promote it in your Blog, FB Fan Page, and Twitter.
Try seeking local media, or younger targeted media for publicity. (one of the posters listed a shop that was featured in Seventeen Magazine : Marci G's

I also got in contact with another shop that was started with a 16 year old. http://www.etsy.com/shop/madelaine A shop full of eerie photography. She's 19 now, and plenty successful. A couple of others who had posted in the forum "convoed" me later, after an Administrator closed the thread. They just wanted to give me encouragement, telling me to never give up on what I believe in, and that they wished they had started when they were 16 :)

The only downfall: The same admin. that closed the thread suspended me from the community. So, no more forums, Virtual Labs (which I had just newly discovered) and chat (which I hadn't used yet) BUT I don't regret making that thread...as PoleStar said in a post "...Just look at it as a way to focus more on your shop. The community areas can be a time suck."

So, with that in mind, I am closing the computer and getting to work on some new designs :)

2 comments:

  1. I just found you on the promoting thread and now I have posted you on my FB page and tweeted and now following your blog, I think you are amazing and I hope my daughters are as creative and go getting as you are

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Revival!
    Glad you found the thread and are actively promoting :)

    ReplyDelete